Monday, December 23, 2013

Author: J. Annas Walker


Please welcome J. Annas Walker as she shares the behind-the scenes details of a Paranormal and Fantasy Romance author.


For new readers—what can they expect when they read your book(s)?
I really enjoy a good vampire adventure in my romance. I like my heroine to have skills/powers of her own. The pairings are male/female, but there’s no reason monogamous couples can’t have the hot, flinging, graphic sex other racy books have. Nothing is left to the imagination. It would be offensive to a more delicate reader. However, I do have one mainstream romance book.

How do you balance writing with the rest of your life?
I have notebooks stashed everywhere and digital voice recorder in my purse for those spur of the moment ideas. When I’m in the car picking up the kids at school or waiting for a practice to end, I scribble. Everything will get put into the typed document the next morning.

What a great idea.  Can you describe a typical writing day for you?
I like to write before the rest of the day has to get started. I can transcribe my notes or write from scratch. When it’s really quiet and no one else is up is perfect. Once the kids and hubby are out of the house for the day, I can get back to writing. I do housework on my breaks. I try to get up and move around at least once per hour.

Can you describe your writing space?
I use an old drop-leaf table in front of the large living room windows to sit my laptop on in the summer. In the winter, I retreat to the basement and sit close to the furnace room. On occasion, I like to sit under a tree in the yard with my laptop. The smell of the falling leaves with the sun on my face is somehow magical.

It sounds ideal.  What you are most passionate about outside of writing.
I love to do yarn and sewing/needle crafts. I like watching movies and cooking. My most favorite thing, though, is reading. My Kindle or a book goes everywhere with me.

What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?
I write paranormal and fantasy erotic romance. I like characters that don’t exist in real life. I can make up any details and any odd quirks. The backstory and mythologies are all up to me. Mundane characters can’t always do that.

Do your characters come to you first, or the plot, or the world of the story?
Can I say all of the above? It happens differently each time. Sometimes everything shows up at once. Other times only the characters introduce themselves.

I can understand that.  What sets your books apart from other authors?
I hope the romantic relationship drives the story, but I wanted the characters to have an adventure. Some romance authors write a series but focus on different characters in each one. That’s great, but I didn’t want the story to end for my characters with just one book. I have two serial storylines with some short story outtakes to come. I want to tell the other characters’ side stories we don’t get to see because they aren’t the focus of the books. I guess you might call it excessive world building.

That's very interesting.  How do you go about developing your characters?
They develop themselves most of the time. What I see in my head is more like a DVD playing. I just take notes. The notes become the story.

Out of all the characters that you've written, who is your favorite and why?
I really like Eleanor from Midnight’s Jewel. She’s not the story’s heroine, but she a duty-driven, honorable woman and a formidable warrior. If she loves you, there’s nothing she wouldn’t do for you. If she decides you’re her enemy, there’s nothing you can do to save yourself and no where you can hide from her. She may not be able to say she loves her niece, but her actions speak louder than words ever could.

Wow, she sounds fascinating.  Can you share a little of your current work?
I just stared the next project in the Celestial Jewels series. Sabrina and Brandon are off on another adventure. This will make book three in the series. However, I do have a December release scheduled for Scion’s Dragon. Our reluctant vampire princess, Cassy, and her Prince Charming are battleing vampire politics, werewolves, and serious glitch in their magic!

Where can readers find more information on you? 
My Website: http://jannaswalker.weebly.com
My Blog: http://jannaswalker.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jannas.walker.1
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jannaswalker
Can you list all your book titles so people can look for them?
Scion’s Freedom
Scion’s Avalon
Scion’s Dragon
The Princess’s Consort
Midnight’s Jewel
The Jewel of Darkness
Water’s Lover




Blurb:
Brandon Thorpe and Sabrina Rivers-Thorpe have enjoyed six months of wedded bliss, but Sabrina’s been keeping a secret. Her transformation into a vampire created a magical disturbance in the Underworld. Now, Death is coming for what’s his.
But is Death the only thing stalking Sabrina? Brandon and Hadrian, Sabrina’s father, bring in Delilah, a demon, to act as detective and magical keeper. But Sabrina’s bloodlines are unique, and magic responds to her in unpredictable ways. Has Brandon’s efforts to keep her safe just made her a bigger, more valuable target? Is she even a vampire at all?
To what depths will Sabrina have to go to satisfy Death’s demands? Can she do it using her own powers? Can Brandon find a way to keep the Underworld from claiming Sabrina for its own? Can they even survive, if he doesn’t? What if Death isn’t the only one looking to do her harm? In the darkness, can a single jewel save them all?


J. Annas, Thank you so much for visiting us today.  I love the way you mix genres in your books, and provide something for everyone.  

1 comment:

J Annas Walker said...

Thanks for being my hostess today! I loved your interview questions!