Monday, November 25, 2013

Author: Cindy Nord


When it comes to Historical Romance, author, Cindy Nord can tell a story so vividly you will smell the canon fire.  I'm thrilled she has taken time to share a little of her backstory with us.

For new readers—what can they expect when they read your book(s)?
Ooh, that’s a lot to cram into one answer. Well, let’s see: My bestselling debut novel, NO GREATER GLORY, is an epic tale woven around the backdrop of the tumultous American Civil War.  Ordered to commandeer a Virginia plantation for his regiment’s 1862 winter encampment, Union Colonel Reece Cutteridge comes face to face with a rifle-wielding Southern belle. Though he takes her gun, she’s the one who does the disarming. Years after the death of his family, Reece hides his anguish beneath an icy mantle of command. He’s not prepared for a wisp of a woman to upend his heart, his career and possibly even his life, yet that’s exactly what she does. Emaline McDaniel displays a defiance born of desperation. The death of her husband years earlier forced the plantation’s responsibilities onto her shoulders, and its management now anchors her life. Daily routines have become the ‘child’ she never had…and no mother gives up her child without a fight. While the war outside suspends under the wickedness of winter, inside the mansion battle lines are drawn. Reece is frustrated to find himself a co-conspirator in Emaline’s plan to free her Rebel brother from Union imprisonment, and Emaline is no happier to realize she’s weakening under the inexorable pull of Reece’s self-sacrificing honor. The biggest challenge for both of them, though, is learning to let go of the past in order to find true forgiveness and that everlasting gift called love. NO GREATER GLORY, also earned a spot as a Romance Writers of America Golden Heart® finalist. My background as a Victorian lecturer, a former Civil War Re-enactor, and an 1860s fashion historian informs this tale of redemption and love. I’ve taken great care to wrap Reece and Emaline’s love story within a richly-detailed, historical canvas. This is their hard-won journey to happily ever after.  And I’m also pleased to share NO GREATER GLORY is a USA Today Lifeblog ‘Recommended Read’ and for 11 ½ months was the #1 Civil War Romance at Amazon. 




That's fantastic!  How do you balance writing with the rest of your life?  
That’s a great question, Carol! Well, between taking care of a household, a husband, two Shelties & a kitten, I’ve found that spending the morning on social marketing, and devoting the afternoon to writing, works best for me. I do sometimes write in  the evening or the weekends, if the muse is willing.

If she's anything like mine, she can be fickle.  Can you describe your writing space?
I have an entire room devoted to my writing office. The hubster built a wonderful wrap-around desk which occupies the center of the room. My computer sits on one corner and all my books, reference materials, writing awards, and memorabilia occupy all four walls. It’s my haven, the place where all my dreams come true.

What you are most passionate about outside of writing? 
The hubster, who is my hero in every single way. But, I also love gardening, bicycling, walking the dogs, traveling to historical places, and of course, my family and my grandchildren…truly gifts in every single way. ♥

What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?
I write Historical Romance. I have always enjoyed reading about the Victorian time period. As a speaker on ladies fashions from that era, weaving the elements of these details into my love stories is what brings each scene to life for me.   

Do your characters come to you first, or the plot, or the world of the story? Characters breathe into existance first. From there, I determine the storyline that I will use to wrap around these charasmatic and imaginary people.  

What sets your books apart from other authors?
I’ve been told quite often that I create strong, complex, believeable characters set against a vivid and detailed historical backdrop. I want everyone to feel as if they are standing right there beside the hero or heroine as they work their way through each conflict or situation. Also, powerful emotions drive all my stories forward; some call it PINK writing. I call it angst. But whatever word one chooses to use, I want my readers to care about these characters long after they’ve finished reading my work.

Out of all the characters you've written, who is your favorite and why?
This is almost an impossible question to answer because they all own a chunk of my heart. However, I suppose Callie Cutteridge (the heroine in my soon-to-be released book WITH OPEN ARMS) tugs the hardest on my heartstrings. She’s a hellion who is so afraid of loving again. Afterall, loving means losing, to her it always has…♥


Can you share a little of your next novel?
“WITH OPEN ARMS”, an historical romance set in the southwest desert of 1866, follows two strong-willed people as they discover the truest test of strength lies in learning how to trust. Callie Cutteridge, a tart-tongued survivor left in charge of the family ranch after her brother rode eastward five years earlier to fight for the Union Army, has managed the business without anyone’s interference. Hardened in childhood by the death of her parents, she now hides her heartbreak behind a mask of self-sufficiency. Breaking horses and selling them to the U.S. Army proves she’s neither delicate nor helpless, and she finds strength in her self-enforced isolation. When a former Union Cavalry officer arrives claiming to have purchased her brother’s half-interest in the ranch—it shatters her last ties to her family and she explodes…she has no intention of allowing an arrogant stranger to govern a single aspect of her life. Scion of a Philadelphia banking dynasty, Jackson Neale misses nothing about high-society except its agreeable, feminine women. His new partner isn’t the alluring angel his former commander, Colonel Reece Cutteridge, led him to believe…but he’s damn well not the useless rake this hellion thinks he is either. For months, he’s looked forward to putting distance between himself and the bloodstained battlefields back east, and arriving at the ranch only to engage in more fighting is nowhere on his agenda. Though he finds his partner’s defiance insufferable, the closer Jackson gets to Callie, the more enthralled he becomes by her.  But his quest to find calm stability contradicts sharply with her distrust of “forever”. For Callie, loving means losing--yet still their heartstrings tangle. Passion soon ignites. But how can they transform their hunger into a happily-ever-after when all Callie knows how to do is fight…and all Jackson wants is peace?

Where can readers find more information on you?
My website is www.cindynord.com And on M-F mornings, I enjoy chatting with my readers and friends on Facebook at my affectionally called Coffee Klatch where I share tidbits of history, recipes, current events and other items of interest. I’m also active on Twitter @cnord2, as well as on LinkedIn.

Cindy, Thank you so much for stopping by.  I can't wait for your next release.



9 comments:

Cindy said...

Carol...I'm delighted to stop by and sit a spell on your front porch. Thanks so much for the lovely invitation. If anyone is interested in a further look at NO GREATER GLORY, here is the link to my webpage:

www.cindynord.com

Warmest regards,

~ Cindy

Nicole Laverdure said...

Oh, I have just noticed some beautiful reviews for your book. Since I'm Canadian, I love stories set in the American history. Your book seems captivating. thank you for offering a copy of your book. nlaverdure88@videotron.ca

Cindy said...

Nicole!! Thank YOU for taking a moment out of your day to stop by. And, I truly appreciate your sweet comments regarding NGG's reviews. See why I love all my readers? ♥ One o' these days, the hubster & I will head up to Canada. Lots of lovely places to visit there. And, I've just dropped your name into my little basket. I'll be drawing a winner at 10:00 (CST) tonight. Warmest regards, ~ Cindy

Shirl said...

I was so taken by this wonderful story. It was set in a war time, but was not about the war. It was a beautiful love story that I fell in love with. I am so looking forward to reading Callie's story.

Cindy said...

Ahh Shirl, readers truly inspire authors to keep writing. And with your wonderful encouragement & kind words, well, I swear I'll continue to write love stories until I can no longer lift a pen. Thx you so much for stopping in this afternoon. Hold on, I promise Jackson & Callie will be here soon.

All my best,

~ Cindy

Janie Mason said...

I think it's so cool that you were a Civil War re-enactor. Did you make your own costumes? I'd love to see your presentation on historical clothing. Any plans to do that in the near future?

Cindy said...

Janie, thx you so much for dropping by my interview today. I had a seamstress who sewed all my gorgeous gowns. If you are going to the Romantic Times Booksellers Conference in May, I've been invited to be one of their specialty speakers. My program will be Victorian Fashions and Military Artifacts.

Janie Mason said...

I can't attend RT due to my day job. Any other gigs?

Cindy said...

And the winner of a free copy of No Greater Glory is: **DRUM ROLL PLEASE** (Taking the slip of paper from my hubster's hand since he had the honor of drawing the name from the basket)...Nicole Laverdure. CONGRATULATIONS, Nicole!

And thxs to everyone for stopping by today. Carol, I truly appreciate the invitation to visit with you. Happy Thanksgiving!

All my best,

~ Cindy