Monday, September 2, 2013

Author: Charlene Raddon


Please welcome romance author, Charlene Raddon.

Charlene Raddon began her fiction career in the third grade when she announced in Show & Tell that a baby sister she never had was killed by a black widow spider. She often penned stories featuring mistreated young girls whose mother was accused of crimes her sister had actually committed.

Her first serious attempt at writing fiction came in 1980 when she woke up from a vivid dream that compelled her to drag out a portable typewriter and begin writing. She’s been at it ever since.

An early love for romance novels and the Wild West led her to choose the historical romance genre but she also writes contemporary romance. At present, she has five books published in paperback by Kensington Books (one under the pseudonym Rachel Summers), and four eBooks published by Tirgearr Publishing. 

Charlene’s awards include: RWA Golden Heart Finalist, Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice Award Nomination, Affair de Coeur Magazine Reader/Writer Poll for Best Historical of the Year. Her books have won or placed in several contests.
Currently, Charlene is working on her next release.

That's exciting.  I would love to have seen your teachers expression during Show and Tell.  For new readers—what can they expect when they read your book(s)? 
Oodles of romance, sexual tension, excitement, and vivid descriptions, a dash of danger and a dollop of happy ending.


Now that's my kind of book.  How do you balance writing with the rest of your life?  
Writing comes first, directly after family.


Can you describe a typical writing day for you? 
I’m usually at the computer by 7:30am and spend most of the day there. Only 2-3 hours are actually spent writing though. The rest is divided between business, promotion, and email. I often stop for lunch and a break during which I play Words With Friends while I eat. Then back to the computer until dinner time. It’s exhausting but I love it.


With a schedule like that, you must have a wonderful writing space.  Can you describe it for us?
I’m very lucky to have my own office, which is crowded with overloaded bookshelves, a bureau, file cabinet, desk, printer stand and other paraphernalia.

What you are most passionate about outside of writing. 
I love digital scrapbooking, genealogy, crocheting, needlepoint and playing with my cat. I also love to travel but haven’t been able to do that much lately.


What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?  
Always romance. Mostly I write historical romance novels set in the American West. I do have a contemporary fantasy romance that hasn’t been published yet and a couple of partial manuscripts of contemporary romance.


It sounds like you will be branching out soon.  Do your characters come to you first, or the plot, or the world of the story?
Most of my stories begin with a “what if” situation.


How intriguing.  How do you go about developing your characters?  
I write copious character sheets usually, not only for the main characters but for the minor ones as well. I like to get pretty deep into my characters.


Can you share a little of your current work?
Right now I’m re-editing a book from my backlist, Taming Jenna, to be released as an e-book in November 2013. I’ve also been re-working the first book I ever wrote which hasn’t been published.


Where can readers find more information on you?
Author page: http://www.amazon.com/Charlene-Raddon/e/B000APG1P8/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/craddon
GoodReads:  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1232154.Charlene_Raddon
Tirgearr author page:  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1232154.Charlene_Raddon FaceBook:  https://www.facebook.com/CharleneRaddon



How about a list of all your book titles so people can look for them?
Forever Mine, Tender Touch, To Have and To Hold, The Scent of Roses, and Taming Jenna, all available at Amazon.com and other e-book stores. The paperback versions are out of print but can be found at used book stores.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Mine-ebook/dp/B008NBK88W/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1345579561&sr=1-1&keywords=charlene+raddon



Do you have a little sample you can leave us with?
A WOMAN’S SMILE
Rosalyn Delaney’s husband, Josiah, had vanished six years ago. Following a private detective’s lead, Rosalyn leaves Salt Lake City and boards a train heading t the mining town of Whiskey Ridge, Arizona. She arrives at Rose House, an old mansion reputed to be haunted, only to discover her missing husband has been killed, and his business partner, Whip Kincade, is wanted for his murder. Determined to uncover the secrets surrounding Josiah and his death, Rosalyn decides to stay-even when she begins to receive nightly visits from a charming “ghost”…

A GHOST’S KISS
Escaping a troubled past, Whip Kincade had hoped he could make a fresh start by coming to Whiskey Ridge and opening a saloon with his friend, Josiah. Now as a murder suspect hiding in his own house, Whip’s future looks bleak indeed…unless he can find the real culprit. But the unexpected intrusion of Rosalyn ruins his plans of sneaking out at night to investigate. Scaring her away is the first step in clearing his name, but Rosalyn doesn’t rattle easily. And Whip isn’t sure he wants the lovely widow to walk out of his life—especially when she would take his heart with her…

Charlene, these snippets sound fantastic.  I can't wait to read the entire book.  Thank you so much for visiting with us today.  I look forward to more of your work.

9 comments:

Susan Horsnell said...

Great interview Charlene and Carol.
I read The Scent of Roses recently and it was a brilliantly written story. Highly recommend it to all readers.

Charlene Raddon said...

Carol, thank you for having me today. This is great fun.

Charlene Raddon said...

Carol, thanks so much for hosting me today.

Rain Trueax said...

Even though I have seen Charlene's interviews, this had some new information. Interesting look at writing.

Charlene Raddon said...

Thanks, Susan. Wonderful that you enjoyed the book.

Lyn Horner said...

Fun interview, ladies! Charlene, your day sounds a lot like mine, except I don't play the Word game. Instead, I play with my cats. :=)

Love, love, love your book cover!

Charlene Raddon said...

Hi Rain. Hi Lyn. Nice of you to drop in. Lyn, I can't play with my cat in the evening because I'm in the living room where my husband has the TV on and Toby is afraid of the TV so he won't come in the room. :-)

Ciara Gold said...

Fun interview and I always enjoy your writing. Keep those stories coming. LOL

Charlene Raddon said...

Will do my best, Ciara. Thanks.