Monday, August 26, 2013

Author: Keta Diablo


I would like to introduce Historical Romance author, Keta Diablo.

Welcome, Keta.  I'm so excited for you to share information about your latest book.

Carol, thanks so much for hosting me today. I so appreciate stopping by to tell your friends and followers about my books.


For new readers—what can they expect when they read your book(s)?
That depends on the day – lol. I write mostly historical with paranormal elements. The last two books I wrote, however, were ‘sweet’ historical romance. I don’t stick to one particular genre, but gravitate toward the Old West and the Civil War romance. I hope readers find the stories compelling no matter the genre. If they can escape to another reality, another time and place and enjoyed the journey, then I’ve accomplished my goal.


You have my attention.  The old west and the civil war are my "go to" genres.  Let me ask, how do you balance writing with the rest of your life?

Just this morning I said it seems I managed my writing time better when I was working. Now that I’m home every day, I spend too much time surfing the net and snooping around Pinterest (grrr, my pitfall). I do better staying on my writing schedule in the winter. In the summer months, I spend hours in my flower garden. I also try to read at least two chapters a night before turning out the lights. Then, of course, there are family events to attend. Family comes first around here. 




Can you describe a typical writing day for you?

I write mostly in the evening and on a good day, late into the night. I’m a night owl, always have been. I hear about authors who set the alarm and get up at 5:00 a.m to squeeze in a chapter or two of writing. I didn’t know 5:00 a.m. existed – at least, not in my world.  If I’m having a good writing day, I can crank out an entire chapter. Hmm – does that make me a slow writer? I can explain. I’m one who has to edit every sentence as I go. I can’t just pound away on the keys and say, “Oh, I’ll fix that later.” I’m too anal. I have to make sure the chapter is pretty tight before I move on.




Can you describe your writing space for us?

I have several writing spaces. Here’s one in the summer months. If you listen carefully, you can hear the loons (the winged version) and the soothing sound of waves lapping the shore. Writing outside and near water is a blessing for me. In the winter, I can’t sit outside and write, of course. You’ll find me in my Shabby Chic bedroom (think lace, pink roses and canopy bed, thank you.) I don’t listen to music as I write and if the TV is one, the volume is very low. I apparently need to concentrate on the writing and nothing else. Lol. My third writing space is at my dining room table with volumes of research books surrounding me. This is my least favorite writing space, but makes for a good change of scenery on occasion.



What are you most passionate about outside of writing.

My children and their lives. I like to know what’s happening with them, try to keep a finger on their ups and downs and be there for them even though they’re grown. I’m also passionate about ‘hungry children’. Don’t even get me going on that one. It’s unimaginable to me that five years ago 1 out of 8 children in the US went to bed hungry. Today, it’s 1 out of 4. That’s horrific and shocking.
We don’t live in a third world country, and yet so many children in our neighborhoods are hungry. I’m also passionate about animals and spend quite a bit of time at my local animal shelter.
My last three furry friends were rescued from shelters. It’s really heartbreaking when you see these animals abandoned by their owners. I adopted Emma LaPounce 5 years ago. Her family moved out of town, took their furniture and left her behind. What is wrong with some people?




How horrible.  I'm glad you found her.  Speaking of passion, do your characters come to you first, or the plot, or the world of the story?
The plot most of the time. Sometimes I dream about a story or read an interesting true life story on the Internet that triggers a story. This works well with historical novels and also satisfies my need for Internet surfing. For instance, I read about cousins who lived a mile apart yet fought on opposite sides in the Civil War. I started asking the usual ‘what-ifs’ and Land of Falling Stars was born. (More info about LOFS here: http://amzn.to/18xfwtb). It was not uncommon for close family members to have divided loyalties in this war. I didn’t write about cousins, but rather three childhood friends who grew up in the South. When the war came, one fought for the North, the other for the South. And they loved the same woman!


Uh-oh, that's trouble. What sets your books apart from other authors?
My name – lol. Just kidding. I don’t know that my books are set apart from others. I write the best book I’m capable of writing at the time and hope readers enjoy them. As we all know, competition is very stiff in the publishing world, especially now that so many writers are self-publishing. A great story is number one, and compelling cover art and intriguing blurb run a close second. Writers don’t have much time to garner interest in this new arena, so make sure you have one of the best stories out there.


That's good advice.  How do you go about developing your characters?

I spoke about this the other day in an interview. If writers say their characters are not a reflection of them, I’d take issue with that. I think there’s a little of me in all my characters. And if not me, then people I’ve met over the years. We collect bits and pieces in our minds and store them in our memory banks. When you start writing about another person, you have to draw from somewhere. I think we hit up that memory bank without realizing it. Sometimes I sit in malls and people watch. Soo fascinating! They have the most unusual body language and expressions. If  you sit and watch, you learn a lot about people.




That can be scary.  Out of all the characters you've written, who is your favorite and why?

I think Ethan Gray (aka Meko) from Where The Rain Is Made. Here’s a dual personality, polar opposites. In the modern world, he’s Ethan, a mild-mannered musuem curator. When he travels to the past to help his People get through the most tragic and difficult times of their lives, Ethan becomes Meko, the brutal leader of the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers. The concept fascinates me. Even as Meko, he’s torn and tormented, and I imagine one would be. In this life, he lives in a world shielded from violence and savagery and yet returns time and again to a world steeped in blood and slaughter. Talk about conflict within conflict. I loved writing Where The Rain Is Made and have promised to get to that sequel soon. (More information about the book here: http://amzn.to/13tR4Ha)


Can you share a little of your current work?
Make that works. Let’s see, The Lone Star series – three western novellas about the sexy Bannister brothers. Breath of Light, a novel set in Ireland/Scotland featuring an evil necromancer (romance here, kids), the sequel to Cradle of Dreams (an erotic time travel) and on and on. My list is so long, I don’t think I’ll ever crawl my way out from under this pile.

Where can readers find more information on you?
Thank you so much for asking. Here’s my bio!
Keta Diablo lives in the Midwest part of the country on six acres of woodland. When she isn't writing or gardening she loves to commune with nature.

Keta is a multi-published author in both erotic romance and gay fiction. Her paranormal novel, Where The Rain Is Made, was nominated for a Bookie Award by Authors After Dark. Keta's books have received numerous Top Pick, Book of the Month, and Recommended Read awards from the top professional review sites.

You can find her on the net at the following places:
Keta's Keep, http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com
The Stuff of Myth and Men, http://thestuffofmythandmen.blogspot.com

Can you list all your book titles so people can look for them?
What!
Just kidding.
Here’s my Amazon page – how’s that? http://amzn.to/11NsXSf


That's great!  Keta, thanks so much for sharing with us today.  Your books sound fascinating, and I love that you offer something for everyone.

7 comments:

Keta Diablo said...

Hello Carol,
Thanks so much for hosting Where The Rain Is Made and ME! You have impeccable timing since WTRIM has been on sale the last few days. The sale ends tomorrow so grab your copy today if you can. Here's the link again ($1.99 - lowest price ever) http://amzn.to/13tR4Ha. Carol, you did a great job on the interview. I really enjoyed your questions.

Have a wonderful week, everyone,
Best, Keta
Follow me here: http://ketaskeep.blogspot.com

Lyn Horner said...

Hi Ket. Good fun learning about your writing routine. I also have several favorite places to write. Changes of scene help stimulate my creative process.

Kathleen Rice Adams said...

Great interview, Keta and Susan! Keta, your summer writing space is gorgeous. How do you keep it so well-manicured?

I loved WHERE THE RAIN IS MADE -- and that's coming from someone who usually resists time-travel stories. That one, though, completely sucked me in. I shudder to imagine the piles of research material you must have waded through in order to bring the Dog Soldiers to life. Great job! :-)

Keta Diablo said...

Hi Kathleen and Lyn, thanks so much for stopping in for a visit. I loved writing WTRIM. Sometimes we get bogged down in the story with research, but I found the history of the Dog Soldiers fascinating, if not very tragic.

Have a great week, all, Keta

Rain Trueax said...

I haven't had time for pleasure reading in too long but I bought WTRIM about a month ago because I just had to have it and if we ever get off on a vacation, I plan to read it as well as a lot of other books to make up for lost time. I enjoyed the interview. Your place to work, Keta, looks wonderful.

Charlene Raddon said...

Great interview. Enjoyed getting to know more about Keta. I love her writing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Keta,

What a nice interview! I enjoyed learning more about you and your writing habits. Love your writing space and admire your deep regard for kids and animals.

Chad