Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bravo Nathan Bransford

It is easy to rail against injustice, or hurt feelings, and vow to anyone who will listen, (the following must be read with a Charlton Heston-style, Moses voice) if I were in control, I would never be so insensitive. Well, this week, Nathan Bransford gave everyone the chance to do just that.

Instead of arguing with, or trying to appease, irate writers, and I partially blame another blog for starting the backlash, Mr. Bransford devised a much more brilliant solution. An old Indian proverb challenges no one to make judgements unless they have walked in the other person's skin. Many people took the challenge, slipped inside an agent's skin and proceeded to sift through fifty queries.

Ha! I say. Not only did some agents-for-the-day emulate what they shout against, they had to be called down by Mr. Bransford for being too cruel. How quickly one forgets from where they came.

I did not participate. I don't have to stick my hand in a fire to know it's hot. But for those who did and did it with class, the old Indian would be proud. You not only rose to the challenge, you seem to have found a new appreciation for both sides of this prickly fence.

We will still grumble about the lack of fairness, I have done this as much as anyone, but at least we were given the chance to see first hand if we would do things differently.

4 comments:

Hywela Lyn said...

I couldn't agree more, Carol. I didn't participate either, for much the same reasons, I thought this was a great exercise by Mr Bransford and I'm sure it made a lot of people cast aside any preconceived ideas they might have had.

Anita Davison said...

I too refrained from participating in this excellent, but scary exercise. Mr B is certainly a high profile agent and goes a long way to prove to us authors he is human and sensitive. I wonder what his clients say about him?

Jen Black said...

another one who did not participate, I find critiquing friends' work hard enough without trying the be an agent, even for a day. It's only a pity that NB doesn't "select" historicals as the "type of work" he is seeking.
Jen

Carol A. Spradling said...

I agree. NB does seem like an ideal agent. Hmm, how to lure him to the historic side of the bookstore. :) Perhaps we should issue him the challenge!