Thursday, January 15, 2009

I was on a roll and then wham.

Somebody pass the Maalox and help me to a soft chair. I worked on McKnight yesterday, adding one thousand new words. I was in the zone. You know what that's like. I was one with the character. I felt, and typed, her every emotion, channeling it effectively onto the page. I reached the end of the scene and decided to call it a day. After all, the character and I needed time to absorb what had happened. Dutifully, and responsibly, I might add, I went to save my work...and poof. Instead of saving it like I very nicely asked my computer to do, the plastic Nazi refused, choosing to corrupt the entire chapter instead. One thousand hard-earned words, gone. How am I ever going to get those words back? I'm sick with the idea of trying to recreate what is lost. What a day.

7 comments:

Jennifer Hendren said...

Aaaack! That sucks. I wish I knew more about computers, but surely there has to be a backup file SOMEWHERE.

Carol A. Spradling said...

Thanks, Jen.

I have searched everywhere I know to look. I can't find anything. It couldn't have happened on a day when I was jotting down basic ideas. Noooo, it had to be when I was adding the meat to the chapter. ugh.

NBB said...

Oh no!

Maybe File Scavenger will help you?

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

You can download a free trial.

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Nina,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but it's still gone. Hopefully, I can still make the scene shine. The bad part is, it was a scene with little to no dialogue. This is my most difficult area of writing.

Deniz Bevan said...

I myself don't know how to do it, unfortunately, but I've heard there's a way to restore a computer to a certain date in the past - i.e. if you could take it back to the moment when you had finished writing it, could the words still possibly be there somewhere?
I do feel your pain, and it's even more frustrating that sometimes compulsively hitting Save can't even *save* a person - what's an author to do?
Oh, there's no autorecovery or anything either?
Garn, I wish I could think of something helpful...

Deniz Bevan said...

If I help you rewrite it, will you help me with dialogue? :-) I *suck* at dialogue!!!

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Deniz,

Thanks. I know. Even when you periodically hit save, that doesn't mean your work is safe.

Hmm, a trade. I like the sound of that.