Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Rise and fall

I'm sure you know what it's like to read several books by an author that are fantastic and then come across one that doesn't match up. It's no big deal, it's actually expected. Let's face it, you can't be at the top of your game in every book. However, I think I've experienced the reverse. My first read of a particular author has fabulous. She soared to the top of my auto-buy list, but with each sequential read, she has slipped a notch and with this last book, sadly, she has fallen to my don't-buy list.

This was a really odd experience. I expected each book to be as good as the first. Oddly, these were not the author's debut books, nor her latest releases. In this last book, I kept hoping for the story to come together but it kept sputtering with weak attempts. I'm aware that this author changed genres. From what I have read of her work, I get the impression it was during these books that she gave her career change serious contemplation.

Oh well, off to find a new favorite.

No comments: