Sunday, August 24, 2008

A touch of home

omg, I just had the best hit on my blog. It was from Cork, Ireland. That's home for my family. Well, it was home over one hundred and some odd years ago.

As is the case with most Americans, I am a conglomeration of a variety of nationalites. German, French, and American Indian (Cherokee, to be exact), but my heart is Irish.

In my youth, I would listen for hours as my grandmother told the story of her grandmother leaving her homeland. I especially loved to hear her mimic the accent. I don't know that I would have enjoyed meeting Grandma Nora, she seemed like a hard as nails woman. I guess she would have to be to take on the challenges she faced.

It was very nice to see a part of home attached to my blog.

2 comments:

Katie Reus said...

Aww, that's so cool!! I'm like you. I'm a mixture, but I totally love my Irish heritage (all on my mom's side) My sister and I even backpacked there for a month in college :)

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Katie!

My plan is to visit each country of my heritage but I already know I will spend the bulk of my time in Ireland and Germany.

When you were backpacking, which part of Ireland did you like the most?