Saturday, June 7, 2008

LAIRD OF THE MIST by Paula Quinn

Kate Campbell's clan is a sworn enemy to the outlawed MacGregor's. When she ends up under their protection, she learns that her suspicions about her uncle and her mistrust of the MacGregor clan laird are intertwined. To be caught with a MacGregor will be her death, but to leave them, will be her sanity.

Paula Quinn does a wonderful job of bringing the MacGregor saga to life. The characters are real and personable. I got a feel for who they were and rooted for their success. The MacGregor story is one I would love to know more about.

Her writing style and plotting keeps the pages turning with minor characters that make you smile. I loved the scene where poor Jamie is taught a lesson by the more worldly Brodie and Angus. Perhaps the castle should have thicker walls.

The one thing that stood out to me was a slight heaviness throughout the book. This hindered the emotion that Ms Quinn was trying to establish. I never warmed up to Kate's brother, Robert or despised Duncan as much as I should have.

Overall, Ms Quinn is a very good storyteller and from what I can tell, she is an author that will get better with each book.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You know I'm a sucker for anything MacGregor. ;-) Sounds like a good book - I'll have to check it out.

When's it set?

Carol A. Spradling said...

It is set in the 1600s. Oh yes, gotta love the MacGregors. (s)