Tuesday, June 10, 2008

DANGER'S KISS by Sarah McKerrigan

Desiree of Canterbury is a cheat, distractingly charming, but still a cheat. Nicholas Grimshaw is the shire-reeve of Kent. Sworn to enforce the law, by any means necessary, he is also Desiree's new employer, thanks to a debt of honor. Feared by everyone, he is surprised, and irritated, that Desiree intentionally tries to make his life miserable. Desiree learns there is another side to the tortuous shire-reeve and must convince him she has changed her ways. She has only hours to do it, for she hangs at dawn and Nicholas is her executioner.

Let me start by saying, if you have any preconceived ideas of historicals, romance novels, predictable titles, you are dead wrong with this book.

Ms McKerrigan does a brilliant job with the characters in this book. More than equally matched, Nicholas and Desiree are a wonderful complement to each other. One thing that I loved is that the characters were thinkers. The author doesn't resort to standard solutions to solve their problems. Very refreshing. I never knew what was going to happen next.

There were believability issues with a few details toward the end, but it wasn't enough to spoil my feeling for the book.

I loved the point of view approach Ms McKerrigan used in this book. By using this method, I felt like I knew each character's thoughts and emotion without feeling the de-je-vue of a repeated scene. And it was all done without head hopping.

The pace of this book...my my my. Top dead center! Whenever a story slows down, I skim to the dialogue until the action picks back up. Not here. I read all of it. Although there is action throughout the book, during the quieter scenes, they were so well done, I wanted them to continue forever.

This was an excellent read and an author to look for.

No comments: