Saturday, April 5, 2008

Suggestions?

I have been reading a lot lately. It is soooo nice. One thing that I have tried to do is go outside of my reading comfort zone and read something from every genre. Although the idea made me a little nervous, I actually enjoyed it. Because of this exposure, I have seen a variety of things. Some authors have really stretched the limits of Literature 101. My Lit teachers would probably turn inside out with some things that were done. (I was taught by literary purists.) Still, I enjoyed seeing the novelties each author brought to their work.

I have a few books left on my tbr pile, but I plan to go to B&N in a week or so for someone else. While there, I thought I'd restock my supply. Hey, I barely, if at all, read while writing. This is my fix before I jump back in and disappear into the writing world. So...any suggestions out there that are a must read?

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like you've been on a serious reading jag - lucky you!
Here's my recommendation - PEOPLE OF THE BOOK by Geraldine Brooks. I just finished it, and I absolutely loved it. It's the story of a young Australian woman, Hanna Heath, and the discoveries she makes while restoring an ancient Hebrew text, a book miraculously recovered from war-torn Sarajevo. The book holds many secrets, and the bits of evidence she finds between its pages have amazing stories of their own. And working on this book leads to Hana's life being turned upside down. A great read, IMO.

Sara said...

If you want to read some fantasy, why not one of these?

Anne Bishop's "The Black Jewels Trilogy". Sexy characters, dark original world and humour (more so in book 2 and 3, the first one is the darkest).

Laura Resnick-"In Legend Born". Wonderful characters, epic conflicts in believable world without any "dark lord" or pure evil.

Scott Lynch, "The Lies of Locke Lamora". Caper-like novel in Renaissance city about a likable and most resourceful thief.

/Sara E.

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Rachel,
Oooh, that sounds fascinating. I love a good mystery. It's on the list!

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Sara,
All of those sound terrfic. I see I will be well armed the next time I go to B&N. I can't wait. I might have to swing by there today instead of waiting until next week. (g) It is on the way home from church after all.

Sara said...

Let me know if you read any of them, I'd be curious to hear what you think. *s*

/Sara E.

Margaret Donsbach said...

I just finished reading Anya Seton's The Winthrop Woman, the first time I have re-read this since I was a teenager, and found it even better than I remembered. It's about the niece of John Winthrop, a founder and governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Her earthy exuberance scandalized her Puritan relatives and neighbors.

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Sara,
I just got back from B&N and sadly, I couldn't find any of your suggestions. (My B&N can be limited sometimes.) I did find two books by Laura Resnick but not the one you recommended.

I haven't read any of the ones you mentioned but they sound fascinating. I'll go to Amazon.com next. I'm sure they'll turn up there. You can find almost anything on their site.

I'm looking forward to reading them.

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Margaret,

It's great to see you here. The Winthrop Women sounds intriguing. I'll look for it on Amazon.com.

Sara said...

If the Resnick books were "The White Dragon" and "The Destroyer Goddess" it was probably smart not to pick them up as those are the (very tightly linked) sequels to "In Legend Born". *g*

/Sara E.