Sunday, April 6, 2008

An interesting time at B&N

Okay, I went to Barnes and Noble to look around and while there, I discovered two things.

First, I am reminded of how small the writing world is. I was looking through an aisle display of books, listening to a woman give me a detailed list of who was good and who wasn't and why she thought this way. This woman may have favorites but let me tell you, she reads the gamut on authors. She was a treasure of information.

Anyway, she pointed out one book and when I turned it over to read the back cover, I almost dropped it. This author is on my Facebook and I had no idea she was an author. Much to my embarrassment, I also learned that she's no small potatoes. Nice to know we befriended each other before I became aware of who she was.

My personal critic continued to advise me. She thrust another book in my hand and said, "This author is fabulous. Start with this one." She tapped the front cover. "Especially if you like gardening."

Ummm, I'm definitely an indoor girl and not fond of the author being regaled. Okay, to be honest, I've not read this author, but I've heard a lot about her. From what I've heard, the author tends to leave a "love her" or "hate her" taste in readers' mouths, and I know where I'd fall.

Trying to be fair, I thought, this is the second time this author has been praised as a must read. I haven't given her a fair chance. At least, read the back and see if the story sounds interesting. I flipped it over. *blink, blink* I stared at an entire glossy, back cover of the author's image. I checked to see if there was a blurb on the first or last few pages. Nothing. Hmm, this spoke volumes to me and nothing flattering. I have to wonder, is she that good that people will purchase her books on her name alone? Is she not interested in new readers?

I nicely thanked the woman for her time, waited for her to leave, and returned the blurbless book to the shelf. Maybe I was right in my thinking after all?

3 comments:

Anne Gilbert said...

Hi, Carol. I have a blog, too. It's (mostly) a blog about writing, but has some other stuff, too. I hope you don't mind my adding you to my blogroll. My blog is:

Writer's Daily Grind
http://www.writersdailygrind.blogspot.com

I'm also on the Historical Fiction site and discussion group(s)

Please feel free to drop in at the blog, if you like,
Anne G

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Anne,

It's great to see you here. I'd love to be added to your blog. How many discussion groups are there?

Precie said...

Now you've piqued my curiosity. I'd love to know what the books were. :)