Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ellis Island

My daughter is in New York for the week, visiting a friend and playing tourist. I just got a text from her telling me she is on her way to Ellis Island and wanted to double check our family name. I hate to sound like a prissy-girl, but I got choked up.

As an historical author, historical events and settings steel me. I'm sure this won't make sense but...when I walk through historical places, everything around me changes. To prevent you from thinking I'm really weird, I'll not go into detail. Then again, maybe it's just my imagination.

Anyway, to think that she will be in the very place where most of our family was at one time, wow, emotional.

2 comments:

NBB said...

Hey there,

I can fully understand you. I'm not writing Historicals but am interested in history and every time I'm in a historic place... I get this special feeling. And when I try to for example imagine that people have walked along certain streets, up certain steps, through corridors and so on, I feel all weird. In a good way :)
You you may now think I'M weird, but I kinda feel those people.
(the strongest I ever felt that, was when I was in Dublin last month)

Carol A. Spradling said...

Nina,

YES! That's it. It's like you have mentally placed yourself in that time and can feel everything as it was then. Oh good, someone can relate. lol