Monday, March 17, 2008

Easy. HA!

As a side thought to Scott Westerfeld's BLUE NOON...

Based on my experience while reading BLUE NOON, I am thoroughly convinced that I CANNOT write YA. I applaud and admire those of you who do write in this genre with what comes across as flawless ease. As a writer, I know that good writing never comes easy and the proof is in the finished product. The easier it is to read, the more work the author put into it. I dare you to prove me wrong.

As for why I recognize my limitations...

When writing YA, an author is met with the challenge of writing on an intelligent level while keeping in mind the emotional roller coaster that is called teen years. There was one point in BLUE NOON where the characters were acting petty. My thought was, come on. I stopped and realized, teenagers ARE petty. No offense, but well, hopefully it won't last long.

A YA author also has to keep in mind attitude, fads, lingo, peer pressure, hormones, rules, behavior, styles, fashion, rituals, 'it', music, parents, siblings *big breath* plus, the ever present knowledge that not every teen enters and exits these stages at the same time. One teen is mature while the other is a moron. The trick is to make it all feel comfortable and acceptable to the reader without making it look like they are ridiculing this uncomfortable, yet impossible-to-avoid, time in everyone's life.

Talk about a juggling act. Okay, I didn't even like this period in my life, but a good YA author makes me enjoy the visit while I read their book.

So, to all you YA authors...*cheers* whistle* thunderous applause*

2 comments:

MM said...

Hi,

Thanks for this great comment on YA. As I attempt to write YA I get so frustrated when people ask me. "Do You write that because its easier than writing a REAL book?"

I'm a new fan of your blog. I was wondering if I could link it to mine
akajennariley.blogspot.com
Thanks

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Jenna,

You're welcome and welcome to my blog!

I think it's easy for someone to sit back and think they can do something because everyone else makes it look easy. Why else do we strap on skates after the winter Olympics?!

What YA authors do is fantastic. I am so glad there are so many of you who are writing interesting stories to keep young people (and adults) reading.

I'm glad you found me and I would love to be linked.