Wednesday, March 19, 2008

THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak

THE BOOK THIEF is the story of a young girl, Liesel Meminger, who is sent to a foster family in pre-Nazi Germany. On the way to her new family, her brother dies, giving the reader their first glimpse of what is ahead for Liesel.

Mr. Zusak uses a very unique approach to his story-telling. Told from an omniscient, narrative point of view, Death tells the story. I found myself looking forward to Death's humorous interjections, especially when he tells the reader that he doesn't wear a long, black cape and hood unless he's cold. How can a character like that be scary?

The characters and setting are well drawn and easy to visualize. I can see why it has received such acclaim. However, to be honest, I wish I had not read this book. It is very depressing. We are told what happens from the time the tragedies occur until the end of the book, yet it seemed a bit abrupt. I felt like I had been smashed in the face and given a tissue for first aid.

Overall, nice story, but not for me.

No comments: