Monday, March 17, 2008

BLUE NOON by Scott Westerfeld

In Scott Westerfeld's BLUE NOON, Bixby, Oklahoma has twenty-five hours in the day. However, the midnight hour is only enjoyed by five friends while the rest of the world is frozen in time. Defying gravity, mindcasting, and fighting darklings is all part of the midnight hour but when the phenomenon occurs unexpectedly during the day, the friends have to prepare for what has caused the shift.

Mr. Westerfeld's writing style is fantastic. This book moves at a quick pace and is easy to read. There are no slow or heavy spots that make a reader want to skim. The characters are very likable and the setting is believable. When I discovered these friends each had a superpower, I cringed thinking they would be cartoonish. This was not the case at all. They were very well done with each character's power fitting well into the story and with each other. I love how the one character tastes emotion.

As much as I enjoyed the book, I have to admit, I was confused throughout the first quarter of the story and then sporadically throughout the remainder of the book. Even with this, Mr. Westerfeld was able to keep this from being a problem for me.

I was totally unprepared for the ending. I'm not sure what I thought about it, but I can understand why he did it. Still, I have to wonder if it could have ended differently and had the same effect.

Over all...great author. I love his style and am so glad I read his book.

No comments: