Wednesday, February 27, 2008

PERILS OF PLEASURE by Julie Anne Long

In PERILS OF PLEASURE, Colin Eversea is about to be hung for murder but is rescued by mercenary Madeleine Greenway. Her assignment is to kidnap Colin and prevent his hanging. On her way to return him and collect her pay, she learns that her employer has changed his mind and now wants Madeleine dead.

When I heard the plot for this book, I knew I had to read it. My love of historicals aside, it sounded like a fast read with all key elements packaged in. I read the first few pages and relaxed into the assurance that this author and I had become friends.

Miss Long was a very nice writing style that is easy and enjoyable to read. Once you adjust to the head-hopping and point of view slips, there isn't anything jarring and no 'why am I being punished' moments. She tells the story seamlessly from start to finish.

At the halfway point, something bothered me. I was not feeling a connection to the characters. I stopped reading to understand why I didn't care about Colin and "Mad". I certainly wanted to, I liked this author's style. What I came up with is this: a good part of the book is told from the male mc's point of view. This is not necessarily a bad thing. However, Colin didn't seem to have much depth. He is engaged to a childhood sweetheart, but at the same time is a major player who is very hormonally driven. This characteristic is not endearing to me. We weren't in Mad's point of view deep enough to really know her. Realizing what I was facing, I continued, but the end of the book felt contrived and disappointing.

Overall, I'm torn on my feelings for this book. Would I read this author again? Absolutely. There is more than enough of what Miss Long does well that would make me read her other works.

No comments: