Sunday, December 30, 2007

Snip

I thought I'd share a snip from today's progress.

Bound by Honor copyright 2007 Carol A. Spradling

The blurred image of a woman’s face melted in front of Leah’s eyes. Two blue marble-like orbs swirled above a small, pink mouth that stretched grotesquely wide. No white squares showed between the lips. Was it possible the woman was toothless? The voice echoed distantly, mumbling, but never became clear enough for comprehension. She blinked and the face contorted further into long, geometric lines. Her nose remained stationary and as the head turned from side to side, it gave the illusion of the nostrils sliding about, adrift within a hairless boundary.
Frigid fingers, dripping like icicles touched her cheek and pulled open her mouth. Cold pewter pressed against her tongue and a thick liquid slithered down her throat. Snakes, she thought. Her stomach rumbled as the reptiles slid home. She shivered and gagged as the nose slid off of the woman’s misshapen chin. Leah glanced down in time to see it hop about the floor and then vanish.
“Don’t you know how to prevent this?” asked the molten lips. The voice, though distant and billowy, was becoming more distinct. The woman placed the brown bottle on a table. “He must have carried some kind of a prize for you to be so careless. I can’t say that I blame you. I’ve known one or two of my own.” She lifted a lock of Leah’s hair. “Or did you get this way on purpose and he threw you out? Too bad you weren’t part of my house. A girl like you would have been a favorite. Of course, you’d have to adhere to my rules. I don’t want a man to leave behind any lengthy reminders of his visit, though it does happen from time to time. That’s why I take care of those things posthaste, can’t have my business suffering for it.” She made a clicking noise with her tongue and turned to leave. “Such a shame.”

6 comments:

mstimrum said...

Hi, Carol,

Though I'm too tired to comment, just wanted you to know I stopped by your blog. Keep at it, girl!

Happy New Year,
Joanne

Jane Richardson, writer said...

WOW, intriguing! I want to know what this is all about! Good work, girl. :)

J x

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Joanne,
Thanks! I hope you have fruitful New Year.

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Jane,

LOL You like?! I hope I'm getting better.

I hope you and your family had a fantastic start to the New Year.

Hélène Boudreau said...

Oh, very kewl.

Thanks for the snip. :-)

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Helene!

How are you? I'm glad you like the snip. It was fun to write. I'm trying to take the sequel a little deeper.