Thursday, December 6, 2007

Question

I have been over at the forum following a few threads. One in particular has been rather enjoyable. There have been several snips of people's ms's that have been poetic and lyrical when read. For me, I tend to shy away from this style of writing because it is an art form that eludes me. However, maybe I can sneak up on it from behind.

What I wonder is, how does one write beautiful prose without heading into that purple area that nauseates readers? Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Jen said...

Carol,

Heh, you know I'm not exactly lyrical. But as a reader, I would say that your best bet is to not go overboard -- use simple language and don't get too caught up in using a metaphor in every other sentence. There has to be a balance with straightforward description.

For me, my eyes want to start skimming when _every_ description contains things like... The sky filled with clouds, as though a giant's breath was solidifying across the wide expanse. YEAH. See, suck. (g) But the point is that sometimes it's better to just explain the color of the sky than to go into these obnoxious metaphors all the time. (Ouch..obnoxious. Well, it can _become_ obnoxious.)

Jen

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Jen,

I love your example. And to make an observation, you have great rhythm to your writing.

Okay, keep it simple...don't go overboard. Got it!

Thanks.

Jane Richardson, writer said...

LOL how I agree with Jen. A sky will NEVER look like a giant's breath...etc etc. If you're going to use similes, at least make them realistic and imaginable.

Dunno about lyrical, but what I do know is that every time I write a descriptive passage, I go back later and remove at least 80% of it. ;)

Carol A. Spradling said...

LOL. I think all roads lead to revisions.

Thanks for your input.