Monday, November 12, 2007

SOME NERVE by Jane Heller

SOME NERVE is a contemporary novel featuring Ann Roth. Honesty and integrity are not the tools for a celebrity journalist, and nice is not what her editor is looking for. When told to get a story on the most reclusive personality since Howard Hughes, Ann pulls out every creative trick in her arsenal. It isn't enough. She must face her paralyzing fear of heights. Physically unable to do so, she goes back to her magazine empty-handed. Fired, she returns home defeated. Taking on local fanfare of hair salon openings and the like, Ann is given a second chance when the man who cost her her job is admitted to the local hospital. Geared up, she is determined to get her job and her reputation back.

With great minor characters and no sluggish areas, this book was very easy to get into. Ann had a great voice and personality that I found endearing. (I did find it jarring with the number of parentheses the author used.) I could feel the anxiety as Ann tried to overcome her fear, get the story, and prove herself. In the middle of the book, the story took a sharp turn, almost with a feeling of being a different book. Although we see growth and change in the character, the amount that was shown seemed out of place with the style of the story up to this point. There were a few believability issues that I struggled with, and I thought the ending was predictable.

Overall, I'm glad I read it.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

hey! good review. your recap at the beginning is pretty fun to read... makes me want to crack the book back open :)