Sunday, October 28, 2007

When did this happen?

First, I am not that old, but when did 'snuck' become a word? I can remember teachers becoming irate and bleeding all over, an otherwise perfect, 5000 word essays at the five letter word. NO SUCH WORD, they would carve across the top of your paper and hold up in illustration so the entire class could learn. Needless to say, I cringe at the sight of it now. Hearing that word is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

I know, you laugh and roll your eyes. That's fine, you grew up when Pluto was a planet. haha

Editing note: Too funny. When finished, I did a spell check. That's right, snuck came up as incorrect. *Loud exhale and huge grin* Vindication! Yes, I am not alone.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Hi, Carol,

My son used "snuck" in a book report and somewhere along the way he found it exists! :0 (I told him to use "sneaked" myself but, what would I know? I'm only his mother.)

Just an observation ("Just" seems to be one of my "favorite" words): working w/him on his first book report helped me to see that a synopsis is simply a book report. Never thought of it that way before. Sharing with him what I do w/revision was fun--for me anyway; :) it also changed my perspective on both projects.

And BTW, it's nice to hear his teacher frequently state that he is a "good writer" (especially since I haven't made public my calling as author just yet.

Susan Adrian said...

Carol:

Here's your answer:
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/usage/snuck

FWIW, I use "snuck" myself. But then I'm an advocate of accepting that English is a constantly changing language. :)