Monday, October 15, 2007

Lady of the Glen by Jennifer Roberson

I never do reviews but for some reason, I feel compelled.

I have to confess. I have made three attempts to get through Lady of the Glen. I can't do it. I know this book is a favorite of many, and I hoped it would be one of my top picks, too. I found myself skimming every time I turned the page. When I started skipping pages, I knew I had to stop.

For my lack of interest in this book, I'll take the blame. I am going to assume that it is no fault of the author, it is all me. In truth, other than a couple of things that could be overlooked, Miss Roberson tells a good story. It really bothers me that I could not finish it. I can't express how badly I wanted to read it through and enjoy it.

If you are looking for comments on this book before reading it for yourself, my opinion is, read it. This might be exactly what you're looking for.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Carol -

To be absolutely honest, it was hard for me to read, too. The only reason I stuck with it was because of the subject matter and how it related to my own book. It did get better and more engaging toward the end, but probably only the last 1/3 or so - the massacre and aftermath - really held my interest. The first parts were pretty "meh" for me. I just struggled to like Cat and care about her problems.

(For the historical record, Alasdair Og of Glencoe's wife was actually a MacGregor, the niece of Robert Campbell of Glenlyon, not his daugter. Glenlyon's two sisters, Mary and Margaret Campbell, married Malcolm MacGregor of Glenstrae - no lie! - and Donald Glas MacGregor of Glengyle, respectively. Margaret's younger son Robert became known as Rob Roy. Mary's younger son Alasdair, called Alec, was lost to history... *w*)

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Jenny,

That's good to know. I think what I found so frustrating was this is a book_I should like_ It had the elements I normally look for. I have never tried so hard to like a book as I did with this one. I just could not connect to anything in it. A very strange experience, indeed.