Friday, September 7, 2007

New writer

Have you ever had someone ask you to read a sample of their work? I'm sure you have. Our first reaction is generally, uh, okay. Hmm, do I really want to do this?

Last night, I was asked to read a snip from a new writer. When it was prefaced with, I've been working on this for __years and have __words, you can imagine my thoughts. To be fair, I asked if I could wait until the morning to read. I start closing down at night and can't make much sense of anything.

I just read her piece. This girl is good. Not that I'm an expert, but I am very picky. She had me leaning into the screen, staring bug-eyed at the words. Not many writers have that affect on me. Why she put this down, I'll never understand. From listening to her last night, I doubt she'll stop now. She has that writer's excitement. The serendipitous ideas were flowing, and she couldn't get them down fast enough.

Jenna, you're off to a great start. You have what it takes. Keep those keys clicking.

No comments: