Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wah!

I don't know what happened. While I wait for other things to click into place, I decided to work on BBH. For the past three hours I have been fluffing chapters. This was the kind of stuff that makes you happy dance your way to bed when finished. While working on this one chapter in particular, I pushed the down key and nothing happened. It said I was at the end of the chapter. Not true. I know what else is to happen in this chapter and we were a long way from finished.

I very carefully looked around to see what was happening. When I came back to the screen, it was blank. My stomach dropped. Not only was all the stuff I had worked on tonight gone, so was the original. This was an important chapter. I remember writing the original, it took quite a few days to get it the way I wanted.

Tentatively touching the chapter number on Word, it asked if I wanted to revert to the saved program. I know Word saves everything after so many minutes. I held my breath and clicked, yes. Up popped the chapter. I scrolled down, searching for any hint of the gold I had added. Nothing. (sniff, sniff) I need a cookie.

So back I go to the top of the page, hoping I can remember all the things I added. Why does this never happens on 'iffy' nights?

4 comments:

Jane Richardson, writer said...

Hell's bells Carol - what an awful moment. Well, at least it didn't lose the original, though. I've had similar things happen before, and now I save after every few sentences. It's the most heart-leaping, buttock-clenchingly awful moment when you think it's gone. I hope it was still all there in your head :)

Jane x

Jenny said...

Carol - Oh, no! How frustrating. Hope you managed to get most of the changes back from memory. Stupid technology...

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Jane,

I don't know if it's still there or not. I'll give it another try after the holiday.

Carol A. Spradling said...

Hi Jenny,

I did go back and see if I could start over. Nothing. I don't write well late at night. I'll try again on Monday. Here's hoping.