Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Grrrr

I spent the entire day on one of those chapters that just would not come together. I ripped that sucker apart so many times, I wanted to wad it up and toss it in the trash. Finally, I narrowed down the problem. That's always good.

In this chapter, I had to bring in a bit of backstory. Hence, the title of this post. Originally, what I had was soooo boring. It read horribly. Once I realized what was going on, I was able to cut to the chase. I tossed a couple of pages of details into oblivion (and really, this info won't be missed at all.) I only mentioned things that were of absolute pertinence, added all of the other essentials to bring the scene to life, and did a happy dance. Okay, the happy dance comes tomorrow after I've polished it more, but the music is cued up and the intro is playing.

4 comments:

Hélène Boudreau said...

Yayy! Sounds like a successful day!

Happy dancing for you too :-).

Jane Richardson, writer said...

I suspect you're right to toss some of it - you know I mean that in the best possible way! You may need it for info, but I'm sure your reader won't...they want just enough to keep them still turning those pages.
With me, it goes in on the first run (as you have seen!), but by the first edit I'd guess 75% of it is out, if not a lot more. Overwriting like mad, and I wish I could break the habit on the first run, but I can't. Call it research!
J x

Carol said...

Hi Jane,

That's what I was thinking. All of this information is important, but does the reader really care to know it? No.

That's when I decided. Tell them just enough to answer their questions and leave the details on the floor.

I have two more pages to hack away and then I think I'll have it. So far, it reads so much better.

Carol said...

Hi Helene,
Yea! Thanks.