Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Scratching head

I'm trying to figure something out. I read a book yesterday and actually enjoyed it. I know, leave it there and move on. Not to be so. As I thought about the story today, I got to thinking about it from a technical aspect. The plot was basic. Would the mc choose A or B? From page one, we knew what her choice would be. Hey, when a hot guy is choice A, how do you think the story will end? So no surprises, no twists, no gasp moments, just a very simple plot. I'm okay with that. Sometimes, I actually prefer it. These types of stories are what I consider "comfort reads". You know the kind where they don't have you on the edge of your seat. You aren't anxious for the next chapter. Instead, they leave you with an 'ahhh' feeling all the way through. For my money, I'm glad to have the option.

Anyway, I say all this to make this observation. Having been down the submission road more times than a large crit group, I started wondering. What did this author's query letter look like? Boy stumbles across misplaced girl. He takes her home and makes her decide if she will stay or leave. Hmm, I doubt it, but really, what could have been the hook that made this agent say yes? Not that I mind, but it's all too subjective for me.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Carol!

I know just what you mean. I'm taking a break from INTO THE MIST, by Marion Zimmer Bradley, to read THE DARK HIGHLANDER, by Karen Marie Moning. It's not a challenging book, but I'm enjoying it just the same. (Granted, this lady's established, so I doubt she chews her nails much any more.)

I wonder about the submission process with books I'm reading sometimes, and it's hard to say, isn't it? Sometimes, after I've hurled a book at the wall I wonder just how the heck they managed. (shrug)

Carol said...

Hi Cindy,

I just ordered SPELL OF THE HIGHLANDER by Moning. I hope it's good.

I know exactly what you mean about submissions. There are so many books out there that I've looked at and thought, "Really?" But who knows what the reason is. Certain books could be published because of specific demands, cycle of likes and dislikes, or a good hair day. Who knows what brings it about? I'm glad there's a variety to choose from, but I do find that the selection in my favorite genre is more limited. I'm ready for the likes to swing back my way.

Cindy said...

Have you read any of her stuff before? Approach with a "this is just for fun" attitude, and you'll do fine. I find her a little cheesy sometimes, often funny, always entertaining.

Carol said...

Hi Cindy,
LOL. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.