Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Not all important scenes need to be climactic.

Okay, I admit it. Last night my main thought was reaching the next 1000 in my word count. But when I typed the first sentence, I knew the word count was no longer my concern.

I had finished a scene in my female mc's pov and created a scene break. I read the first sentence after the break, stopped, and thought, that's odd, I was now in my male mc's pov. Deciding to follow him and see what happened next, I gave him the nod to lead the way and away we went.

He and I were equally surprised at what Anna did in this scene. I realized that while Anna directed the scene, in order to experience and understand Daniel's uncertainty and fear of her actions, we needed to see this from his pov. I have never written a scene like this before. What she does in the physical is symbolic for what she is actually doing. Confused? It took me a few sentences to see what she was actually doing, but I am very happy with the outcome.

Right now, the scene is a mad arrangement of actions, and I have much work ahead of me to format it to where it will make sense to a reader. Even then, it will be one of those scenes where you either get it or you don't. I'll do my best to make sure you get it because it is one of those scenes that stays with you after you've finished the book.

And as far as word count goes, yeah, I made it past the next thousand mark.

No comments: