Sunday, April 29, 2007

Whiplash

I'm not sure about something so I thought I would post it here and see if anyone has any ideas. In my limited experience, historical fiction (hf) is written with a slower pace, more detail...it's just deeper, for lack of a better word. Historical romance (hr), I'm finding, is light and fast. Or is it? The new wip I'm writing seems to run ahead of me at breakneck speed. It could be because I prefer hf, or maybe I'm just not used to the routine of hr. I have placed a few chapters up for crit and while I think the pace is fast and furious, the responses I have received is the pace is right where it needs to be. So, should I just go with it and see where I end up, or should I force it to comply to a watered down version of hf? I hope I will be able to write in both genres. You wouldn't think there would be that much difference between the two. Oh my, yes, there is.

3 comments:

Jane Richardson said...

Carol, maybe check out a few hr's from the main romance houses and see what you think? I guess then if you find a style that appeals, then you'll know where to pitch this one later. Different houses might have a different take on hr. You never can tell - I just got described as 'all encompassing, sweeping romances,' which is lovely, but not how I'd seen it at all! So, it's maybe hard to be objective. Also, do you know someone who reads a lot of hf - I mean, other than us writerly lot - and maybe ask them for a view? I find it so hard to categorise at all, I must admit, and tend to feel if it's a good story, then it's a good story. But I know not everyone sees it that way, and if you're looking to be published then you have to pitch it right, I guess. I'd be really interested to know what you come up with, though. :) Jane x

Carol said...

Hi Jane,
I did google a few houses. I looked at some excerpts from their authors and found myself critting published work.

I'm not too concerned about the pitch at this point. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and writing a story that is engaging and has all needed elements.

You've been described as 'all encompassing, sweeping romances.' Does this mean you've received news?

Jane Richardson said...

Carol, I think you're right. It's better to stick with the story as you feel it should be. And no, no news! I'd shown a cp my notes for the 'new one,' and that was one of her comments :) I don't expect to hear anyhting for some time. Jx