Monday, March 12, 2007

Back on track.

I've had another break through. Something has continued to niggle at me while I've been writing. Being a chunk writer, this usually goes away as new chunks develop. But this time, it kept growing. I went back to the basics of writing that we all learned in elementary school. I asked myself, what are the three main things every story needs? Plot, characters, and conflict. Plot. Yes, there is a distinct plot from start to finish. The characters are set in place and have been developed well. Conflict. There is conflict. Wait...there are 'mini' conflicts. Things that happen in individual chapters that are resolved within that chapter or carried into the next. That's it. Where is my central conflict that threads through the entire book? A-ha. That's what's missing. Back to the classroom. Conflict: man against elements, man against himself, man against man. Yup, it's that simple. I can't believe how blatantly obvious the lack of overall conflict was staring me in the face.

1 comment:

Adrian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.