Friday, February 9, 2007

Time to get back in there.

Splitting my attention between the demands of editing and soliciting Cost of Freedom while trying to write Bound by Honor is quite taxing. I am very glad I can focus on one project now. For a little while, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back to writing. To be honest, it scared me. I like the story I'm working on and was bothered that I would lose my relationship with the characters. (Fellow writers, you understand.) I think it all stemmed from knowing what's ahead and wondering if I can live up to the expectation. When you write your first book, there is such a blissful naivety that all you do is write, no thoughts to anything else. I spent last night re-familiarizing myself with BBH, checking to see if I had enough research, scrutinizing plot lines--these types of things. This morning, I started at chapter one and reread it. Something clicked. My fingers started tingling, anxious to thump keypads. I can't wait to get back in there and see what happens next. Hope you'll follow along with me. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fellow writers understand completely, Carol. I feel just the same--finishing up on the current wip, and the other one is in the back of my head. I've written the outline but that's all, and I daren't do more till the first one is out looking for a home. Sigh. I can multi-MULTI-task with anything else, but writing is a case of not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Waaah!
Hence my head-down, conspicuous-by-her-absence number at the moment.
Such great news--I'm crossing everything for you!
And thanks for the lovely welcome a while back :)

Jane x

Carol said...

Hi Jane,

I completely understand. But just because I understand doesn't mean you can stay away. Every now and then take a breather and drop us a line. We miss hearing from you. :)